Hudson Gore specialises in SMSF strategies and in conjunction with our administration company can set up, advise and administer Self Managed Super Funds. Hudson Gore’ services include:
Cutting edge strategies aimed at tax minimisation so that your retirement benefit is maximised.
Pension strategies (transitional, market linked, fixed term etc).
Investment strategies, gearing, property, equities, managed funds, structured notes, fixed interest & Bonds, cash.
Estate Planning:- Binding death nomination, SMSF wills.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of setting up a SMSF?
The benefits Include:
- A SMSF provides you with an opportunity to make the decisions as to how your funds are invested and how the fund is to operate. You have the flexibility to alter the fund’s investment strategy as and when required to meet the changing needs of the members or any changes in the economic climate. You also have superior choices in regards to how much and what funds may be in pension mode.
2. Investment Choice
- Your fund can invest in a large range of investments including shares, bonds, property, cash or any other asset you feel suits the investment objectives of the fund (provided it meets the sole purpose test).
3. Low taxation
- Income and capital gains are concessionally taxed inside your SMSF. Income is taxed at 15% & CGT at 10% if held for 12 months while in accumulation mode. When in pension mode earnings are tax free (pension cap of $1.6m from 1/7/2017). This is may be far lower than at your marginal tax rate outside super.
- These tax savings have allowed these super funds to become a powerful wealth creation vehicle enabling ordinary Australians to maximise their income and lifestyle in retirement.
- The assets of the SMSF are protected from bankruptcy and other legal claims up to a certain threshold. This can be of great benefit to business people working in an area of high litigation or where families fall apart or when other unfortunate events occur.
Is a Self Managed Super Fund suitable for me?
There are certain regulatory responsibilities placed on trustees of SMSF, therefore when setting up a fund it is important to consider various issues including:
Will I have the time to manage and administer the SMSF?
Will there be sufficient funds in the SMSF to make the administrative costs worthwhile?
Will the other trustees of the fund be suitable co-investors?
How much is required to start a SMSF?
Ideally, when setting up a SMSF a minimum of $250,000 is required. If you have more than one member, the total combined assets can be transferred to meet the minimum requirements. If you decide to set up a SMSF with less than $250,000, you need to weigh up the ongoing administrative costs to see if it will be worthwhile.
What are the costs to establish a SMSF?
Hudson Gore charges a fee of $1700(including GST) Establishment of SMSF and Corporate Trustee and application for TFN and ABN” $1700
What investments can the fund invest in?
At Hudson Gore we help you in selecting from a range of investments that your SMSF can invest in. The selection is very broad including:
- listed shares
- fixed interest securities
- managed investments
- private unit trusts
- direct property
- artwork and other collectable’s
It is important to understand that there are certain regulatory limitations placed on SMSF; for example, your fund cannot acquire assets from related parties of the fund or invest in in-house assets; for example the fund could not purchase your assets (such as your house) from you. Other restrictions placed on the fund include the inability to lend funds to members or their relatives or to provide the assets of the fund as security for personal borrowing.
As part of our service, Hudson Gore can provide you with access to a range of investments for your SMSF.
Can the fund provide insurance?
Yes, within your SMSF, Hudson Gore can organise life, total and permanent disablement coverage to insure the members of the fund. The SMSF pays the cost of the insurance and claims it as a tax deduction, which makes the costs of insurance more tax effective.
We can assist you in selecting the best insurance options for your SMSF.
What are the ongoing costs of a SMSF?
Hudson Gore can provide this optional service for our clients. We are not directly involved in the preparation of accounts or the auditing process – this service is outsourced to a specialised professional accounting firm. Compliance fees are paid by the fund and start from $770 (Inc GST). A full list of the fees is outlined below.
Description Cost (Inc GST)
Base Administration Charge* (Accounting and Taxation) $2200
Audit Fee (Basic Fund) $770
Base Administration Charge covers up to two members and up to 10 investments held during the year and includes:
- Preparation of financial statements
- Preparation and lodgement of income tax and regulatory return
- Preparation and lodgement of superannuation surcharge statements
- Preparation of member’s statements
We aim to empower the individual to achieve their life goals through innovative financial solutions
Level 3, 54 Foveaux Street Surry Hills NSW 2010
PO BOX 1899 Bondi Junction NSW 2022
Ph: (02) 9211 0111